Serves: 6 | Preparation: 20 minutes | Chill: 1 hour | Roast: 1.5 hours
This delicious & festive rosemary roast beef recipe is perfect for serving to friends or family at Christmas time. This recipe has been adapted from Better Homes & Gardens.
(Need ingredients for this recipe? Order meat online)
- 1 sprig of fresh rosemary
- 500 gram can of anchovy fillets, drained. Not a fan of anchovies? This can be substituted with ¼ cup of olive tapenade!
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and smashed
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- 5.5 – 6 kg beef strip loin roast or top sirloin roast
- Fresh rosemary leaves
- Remove leaves from rosemary sprig. Put rosemary leaves, garlic, anchovies and black pepper on a cutting board. Roughly chop. Drag the flat, broad side of the knife across the mixture in one direction and then the other until it forms a smooth paste. Transfer to a small bowl. Stir in vinegar and enough olive oil to make a spreadable paste. Set aside.
- Trim the majority of the fat from the roast; score any fat that remains. Rub the anchovy paste over beef. Tuck edges of the roast under and tie with kitchen string. Cover and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 260ºC. Place the roast on a rack in a shallow roasting pan. For most accurate results, insert an oven-safe meat thermometer into the centre of roast. Roast, uncovered, for 15 minutes then reduce temperature to 177ºC and roast for 45 to 60 minutes or until the thermometer registers 57ºC for medium-rare.
- Remove roast from oven. Cover with foil and let stand 15 minutes (the temperature of the meat will rise to approx 63ºC after standing).
- Top with fresh rosemary leaves.
Enjoy! Let us know how the recipe turns out on our Facebook page.